For many years, NeuroExplorer has had the capability to automate repetitive tasks:
- Repeat analysis on all the data files in a folder,
- Edit data or post-process analysis results without sending data or results to an external program
To support scripting, a custom NexScript language was developed. NexScript supports simple variables and has basic flow control capabilities. However, there are many limitations of NexScript that make writing scripts difficult. Adding new capabilities to NexScript (for example, adding support for arrays) would require a considerable effort. An alternative approach is to integrate existing programming language into NeuroExplorer.
We are pleased to announce that starting with version 5.022, NeuroExplorer scripts can also be written in Python.
Here are some of the benefits of using Python:
- Python is very well documented
- Shorter scripts
- Access to NeuroExplorer data via Python lists eliminate many loops
- User-defined functions replace repetitive code
- Scripts can use thousands of Python functions
Old NexScript scripts can be automatically converted to Python using Tools | Convert to Python menu command in NexScript editor.
NeuroExplorer uses Python 2.7.10. There is no need to install Python. All the Python files needed for scripting are installed by NeuroExplorer setup program.